Monday, August 24, 2015

Slieve League, Ireland


When I signed up for Irish classes in Glencolmcille, I really had no idea what to expect. As the trip got closer, I started to panic. What if I hated it? What if I got lost? What if it was terrible and there was no way to contact my family and no way to get out?? Every anxious what if scenario raced through my mind.

I seriously considered canceling and staying home where it was nice and safe and predictable.

My third day at Glencolmcille, some people from my class invited me to ride with them over to Slieve League, some of the highest sea cliffs in Ireland. Even though they're less famous than County Clare's Cliffs of Moher, they're about three times higher and stunningly beautiful.

As I stood on the platform, viewing this incredible scenery, eating ice cream and laughing with my new friends, I just kept thinking, "I can't believe I almost cancelled this trip."





As we explored, I thought about how I sometimes allowed fear to shape my decisions. How I gave up on things or avoided things because of what might happen. I looked out on the cliffs and thought to myself, "I never would have seen this beautiful corner of the world if I didn't do something that scared me."

So often I think that if I'm scared of something, that means it's bad. The known is safe, comfortable, and predictable. But isn't comfort zone just another word for status quo?






I'm glad I said yes.

3 comments :

  1. They look totally the same as the cliffs of Moher but are probably less crowded, right? Anyway, it looks absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos, love your sharing

    arron
    GlassesShop

    ReplyDelete