Monday, April 13, 2015

Back to Europe (100 Day Update)


Hello from a train in Ireland! Can I get a round of applause for Irish trains and their free wifi? By far the best train experience I've ever had.

That's right...I'm back to my old nomad ways while Fionn is gone. After a quick jaunt home to the East Coast to see friends and family and enjoy a Savannah St. Patrick's Day, I hopped a flight to Ireland to spend a week taking Irish classes in a tiny town on the coast of Donegal. 

As a language nerd and a lover of all things Irish, learning Irish Gaelic has always been a dream of mine. Since 2015 is my own personal Challenge Year, I bought the tickets, crossed my fingers and hoped for the best-and it was easily one of the best decisions I've ever made (photo heavy blog post to come).

Besides a week of intense Irish lessons in the middle of nowhere, I've also been visiting friends in Dublin and Galway and spending time with brand new friends (gotta love hostel common rooms). I'm a little over 100 days into the year and already I'm happy to report I'm seeing positive changes in myself. My Spanish and Irish skills are improving, I'm in the process of learning my first song on the guitar, I'm traveling, trying new things, getting more exercise, reading more and Facebook-ing less. Honestly, I feel like my old self again. 


After a year of feeling like I was just spinning my wheels in place, I wanted to feel like I was doing something this year-I might not live where I want or have the job I'd like, but I could use my time productively by learning new things and getting a change of scenery. After 100 days, I feel inspired, creative, and excited about the future, which is exactly what this whole challenge thing was about anyway.

Today I'm returning to Dublin and next week I'll be in France for a bit, then off to Germany! If you'd like to see me while I'm on this side of the pond, drop me a line and we can plan something!


3 comments :

  1. Sounds like you're having a productive start to 2015! It's great that you are getting to travel some more in Europe. I live in Stuttgart, Germany, so if you happen to be in the area while you're in Germany, I'd be happy to meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing time - you're certainly making 2015 count! You're always welcome to visit Marburg :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best post I've read today. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete