Thursday, March 5, 2015

Life lately...the next phase of culture shock!

Well, I've officially been in Texas for 6 months! That seemed fast, didn't it?

Back in January I mentioned my struggle with culture shock and adjusting to life in Texas. I can happily say that lately I've started to feel more at home here-the differences don't seem so overwhelming, I've made a few friends, and the near constant sunshine has been something to be thankful for while my friends and family dealt with the recent snowpocolypses! I guess I'm officially moving into Adjustment phase?

Fionn left in January and will be gone most of this year. The first few weeks were awful-coming home to an empty house in an already unfamiliar city was rough, but I'm getting through it. Luckily I had wisely packed my schedule for the weeks after his departure-I was so busy with Spanish classes, guitar and harp lessons, and my schoolwork that I didn't have a lot of time to sit around and feel sad. I also didn't have much time to blog...hence the cobwebs around here!

also, Grand Canyon adventuring!

The other bonus? I got out and met people! It was really great to use my time creatively. I loved learning a new language (and putting it to use in my every day life) and getting inspired to make music. Sure, there have been lonely nights and weekends in an empty apartment that seemed to stretch on forever, but I can say that for the most part I've rolled with the punches. I also have to say, my friends and family have been awesome. It's been so great having people checking up on me and reaching out to say they thought of me. It really means so much to me, y'all.

Right before Fionn left, I made a list of things I wanted to do while he was gone, as well as a list of things about myself I wanted to work on. Some things have gone well (like not wasting my time on Facebook and learning some Spanish!) and some haven't (like working out three times a week-HAH). I'm thinking about blogging about my list to keep myself accountable, but since my Deployment To Do List includes traveling around, we'll see how much time I have!

So that's my life lately. What have you been up to?

6 comments :

  1. It must be quite the adventure. I know I dislike being away from Mr Tide, but that without him I'm forced to do a bit more for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Being on my own has definitely given me a different perspective on things. I also get to eat cereal for dinner (or ice cream!) and no one says anything ;)

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear you're settled in and doing ok - Sounds like you're doing a lot of learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am! It's been an action packed month. Learning Spanish is much easier than German haha

      Delete
  3. Found your blog researching Polish Pottery trips (I'm headed there for the 2nd time this weekend and I'm ON A MISSION!)...we're winding down our time in Germany and we'll be stateside again this summer (so many mixed feelings about this!) Just wanted to say hello :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have so much fun! I still dream of returning to Poland for more pottery. I hope your next assignment is awesome and your last few months in Germany are great. It's such a fun assignment :)

      Delete