Tuesday, March 17, 2015

I'll take the Pre-Digested Coffee, thanks


En route to the mountains, we stopped at a tea plantation. It was a complete tourist trap, but sometimes tourist traps can be fun if you take them for what they are.



The plantation grew lots of things beside coffee and tea, like vanilla bean and cocoa pods.



They're most famous for their Luwak Coffee, the most expensive coffee in the world. These furry little guys eat the berries, then poop out the seeds, which are then ground up into coffee.

So basically you're paying good money to eat already digested coffee. Hmm.


At the end of the tour we had the opportunity to try the different kinds of teas and the Luwak coffee (if you wanted to pay a little extra). My cousin was a bit dubious about the teas after hearing about the Luwak, causing my grandmother to make this disapproving look when he sniffed each cup...

"It's not very dignified!"




My other cousin and I dove right in.



After some debating, one of my cousins plucked up enough courage to try the Luwak coffee! It was not as terrifying as we all expected.



The moment of truth...


He reported that it tasted like coffee. I'll take him at his word and enjoy a cup of (poop free) coconut coffee instead. Grandmother approved.





2 comments :

  1. ha, what place! never ever would I have thought something like this existed... much less people are paying an arm and a leg for it. hugs to your grandma, she's my kind of lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I've heard about this kind of coffee... I love the view, don't know how I feel about the coffee ;)

    ReplyDelete