Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Mission Churches, Nuclear Warheads, and Quesadillas


When I travel, I always look for things I don't have at home, whether that is new food, or unique architecture, and or just new people. As a Georgia girl, the Southwest is totally new to me. I wanted to see all the Tucson area had to offer-from mission churches to Cold War history to tasty Arizona-Mex food.

First stop, Mission San Xavier del Bac!



I just love Spanish style missions. They make me feel like I'm in an old Western. Built in the 1700s, San Xavier del Bac did not disappoint with its beautiful architecture and soaring white bell towers (so pretty against that cloudless desert sky). We loved the vibrant paintings inside.






Next door is a smaller chapel for prayer and reflection.




After San Xavier del Bac we headed down the road to the Titan Missile Museum, a Cold War throwback that once held a Titan intercontinental ballistic missile. My heart leapt in my throat when we looked down through the glass ceiling at the business end of a (inactive) nuclear warhead!




After a long day of sightseeing it was off for some tasty Arizona-Mex food! We had margaritas, tacos and quesadillas, and I can definitely say that Arizonians know how to do it right.




Til next time, Tucson!

1 comment :

  1. I love the old Spanish style architecture in the southwest. It's too gorgeous.
    And let me tell you how jealous I am of that Arizona-mex food.... ;)

    ReplyDelete