Monday, December 15, 2014

New Orleans Part 2


Before our trip, I asked my New Orleans-savvy friends for advice on what to do. The majority of their suggestions revolved around food, and once I got to NOLA, I understood why. Your visit cannot be properly enjoyed without eating ALL THE THINGS.

And when everything is so dang good, why wouldn't you want to??

Our first foodie stop was Cafe du Monde for beignets and a cafe au lait. They were sweet and rich and decadent, but next time I'll order one serving of beignets to share. Neither one of us could finish 3 by ourselves.




Even though it was muggy and hot, it was still a great place to sit down and people watch for a while. Street musicians would come by an play jazz music, tourists and locals alike bustled by, and you had a nice view of the gardens surrounding St. Louis Cathedral.




Now highly caffeinated and covered in powdered sugar, Fionn and I wandered off to explore more of the city.





The thing I like about New Orleans is that it's got a little something for everyone. You've got the party scene, lots of historical stuff, good food, unique stores, buildings dripping with history and modern sections reminding you you're in the 21st century.

Every time I come back, I find something new.






After a few hours of exploring, we decided to stop at the famous Central Grocery for a Muffuletta after 3 different friends insisted we stop there. I was suspicious...wasn't this going to be some overpriced tourist trap with mediocre food? Surely there's no way this place could live up to the hype.

Let me just say right now, I was WRONG. So very very wrong.

That Muffuletta was every bit as good as my friends said. Better even. Fionn and I fought over the last bite.




I'm drooling just thinking about that masterpiece of a sandwich...

That night we met my awesome study abroad friend/New Orleans native at a local joint for more chargrilled oysters and Sezeracs (New Orleans' famous signature cocktail) and before we knew it it was time to hit the road again, bound for the next leg of our road trip!



Goodbye, New Orleans! Hello, Texas!





No comments:

Post a Comment