Friday, July 18, 2014

St. Augustine Harbor and Fortress


As you walk out of cluster of buildings in St. Augustine's city center, you're suddenly hit with the smell of the ocean and the creak of ropes. The harbor is literally right there.



Fionn and I enjoyed walking along the water's edge. If you follow the pathway, you'll find yourself at St. Augustine's famous Spanish fortress in no time.




St Augustine was founded in 1565, but the fortress, the Castillo de San Marcos, wasn't built until the late 1600s. It's been used by the Spanish, English, and Americans as a military fort but these days it's a national park.




For history nerds like Fionn and I, we had fun exploring and thinking about all the things these walls had witnessed over the years. Amazing they're still around!



Next up...the best thing I ate in Florida...and maybe ever.




1 comment :

  1. I love your pictures and I would love to visit that place! Especially now that we have 30 degrees here and I live in the plains with the ocean being miles away..... ;)

    ReplyDelete