Thursday, July 17, 2014

America's Oldest City: St. Augustine, Florida


As a Savannah girl, I'm always a sucker for pre-revolution American cities. The colonial influence, the narrow streets meant for carriages instead of cars, the gorgeous architecture...I love all of it. 

So naturally, I loved St. Augustine, Florida.

Because Fionn and I never pass up an opportunity to travel somewhere cool, we decided to stop in St. Augustine on our way back to Georgia. I'm so glad we did! Even though we were only there for a few hours, I fell in love with America's oldest city, especially all the Spanish influence! As we drove around I was reminded of our trip to Spain a few years ago. All I needed was a sangria to complete the effect!





The city isn't very big, but it's got a lot of charm. I loved all the green space you could walk through, watching cars and horse drawn carriages share the road.





A little ways down you find yourself in a touristy main drag. While I usually skip cheesy tourist shops and pirate themed attractions with eye patch wearing mannequins, it was worth it to at least walk through and see it once. 




Then you should promptly return to "regular" St. Augustine, which has much more to offer.





More to come!




No comments:

Post a Comment