Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Best Peach Cobbler Recipe Ever (Seriously)

On the way back from Savannah, we stopped at a peach farm for some tasty fresh peaches. I couldn't wait to get home and make a peach cobbler. I had my mom's recipe, but I wondered if maybe the internet had something better.

So, I googled "best peach cobbler recipe". The first one that came up was by a lifestyle blogger whose recipe included box cake mix and canned peaches.

Box cake mix and canned peaches?!

I'm pretty sure that sound you hear is a million indignant southern grandmas clutching their pearls in horror. Or anger. I was pretty mad that someone would try to pass off processed box crap and a can of dyed yellow peaches as "the best ever".

But then I stumbled upon this recipe and my mind was filled with happy, delicious thoughts instead.



I'll be honest, this is one of the best things I have ever made. Ever. It was perfect warm or cold (but especially warm), the dough on to was light and sweet and perfect. I fought Fionn for the last bite.



Peach Cobbler
America's Test Kitchen Recipe, found on Mo Recipes
Ingredients:
4-5 Peaches, peeled, pitted, and cut into thick slices
2 tsp. cornstarch
1/3 to 1/2 c. sugar
 pinch cloves
 1 t. vanilla extract
 1 T. brandy (optional)

1 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. plus 2 tsp sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 c. buttermilk
4 T. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place the fruit filling in 9" deep-dish pie plate.  Place the pie plate on a foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet and bake until the fruit begins to release liquid, 20-30 minutes (about 60 min for frozen fruit).

While the fruit is baking, whisk the flour, 1/4 cup of the sugar, the baking powder, soda, and salt together in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, whisk the buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla together.  In a third bowl, toss the cinnamon with the remaining 2 teaspoons of sugar.

Once the fruit filling has begun to release liquid, gently stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until the dough is just combined and no dry pockets remain.

Remove the cobbler filling from the oven and stir.  Pinch the biscuit dough into 8 equal pieces and place them on top of the hot filling, spaced 1/2 inch apart.  Sprinkle the dough with the cinnamon sugar.

Return the cobbler to the oven and bake until the filling is bubbling and the biscuits are golden brown on top and cooked through, 15-20 minutes.  Let cool 15 minutes before serving.





If peaches aren't your thing, try one of these combinations. You won't regret it!

Fruit filling varieties:
Blackberry (6 cups) plus 1 T. cornstarch (2 T if frozen), 1/3 to 1/2 c. sugar, and 1 tsp. vanilla
Blueberry (6 cups) plus 1 T. cornstarch (2 T if frozen), 1/2 to 2/3 c. sugar, and 1/2 t. cinnamon, 2 T lemon juice
Raspberry (6 cups) plus 1 T. cornstarch, 1/2 to 2/3 c. sugar, 1 t. vanilla
Strawberry (2 quarts) plus 1 T. cornstarch, 1/3 to 1/2 c. sugar, 1 t. vanilla

Go make this RIGHT NOW before peach season is gone!!




1 comment :

  1. Your remark about the indignant southern grandmas made me laugh :) I feel like such a cheater when everything is so much easier these days - from instant yeast to boxed cake mix!
    Perhaps when I have peaches I'll try this - I've got no clue what I'm missing out on and having never tried it, it's pretty much guaranteed to be the best I've had ;)

    ReplyDelete