Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A Weekend Back Home: Savannah, Georgia


I am lucky enough to call Savannah, Georgia my hometown. True, I wasn't born here (for many Savannahians, you're not truly FROM here if your ancestors weren't living in the city when Madison was president) but I moved here as a kid and lived, loved, and grew up here. I love this city with a passion. Every time I come back I run into people from my past. The hugs and excited cries of, "You're back!!" are the best feeling in the world after a long time away.




The weather was perfect for a quick visit home. Fionn and I strolled through downtown, stopped by my favorite places to eat, and dropped in on some friends. It was great being able to say, "Shannon's back in Georgia!"




As we walked around the familiar streets, it was hard not to be overcome with memories. My first job, the place where I graduated from college, the hotel where Fionn's mom and I sat making bouquets for our wedding. It was a great feeling, and suddenly, it hit me how good it was to be home.

The past few days in our new city have been a blur of errands and cardboard boxes and swiping debit cards. Our work-in-progress apartment doesn't feel like home and we've found ourselves aching for our German life. I can't speak for Fionn, but for me, this weekend helped heal that hurt a little. Being in a place where so many people know me and love me was healing. It re-energized me. Even when it was time to go back to our new city at the end of the weekend, I felt ready to tackle our latest challenges.

Funny how "home" can do that.





Beautiful weather, wonderful people, peaceful walks. It was such a fabulous weekend.




More Savannah to come!



13 comments :

  1. I visited Savannah in 2012 while a friend was attending SCAD and LOVED it! I totally understand why you love it there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a special place. I would love to move back one day!

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited to be heading to Savannah in May. Do you have any recommendations for places to stay or eat? My husband and I just started planning the trip and would love a local's perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many recommendations I think I'll just write a post about it in the next few days. There is so much to see and do in savannah, I don't want you to miss anything! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I'm so excited to read the post.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to visit Savannah one day. It's so beautiful. Who knows, we could get stationed there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful! I love that you're actually from Savannah, what a great place to call home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful place to call home! And the feeling that comes with it; amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been obsessed with Savannah since I read and saw, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. What a wonderful place to call home! Now that I'm back in the States, I'm definitely looking into a long weekend there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love it. There's a great French place there too if you get homesick :)

      Delete
  7. These pics are beautiful, Shannon! I've lived within driving distance of Savannah multiple times and still have not managed to make the trip. It has been on my US travel wishlist forever! I'm so happy that you're finding ways to ease back into living in the states.

    ReplyDelete