Tuesday, February 18, 2014

"Poor but sexy"-A weekend in Berlin

It's no secret that I love Berlin. Some of my best friends live here, I met and fell in love with my husband here, my first real job was here, and I've made many amazing memories on these streets.

Heck, even my senior thesis for my history degree had to do with Berlin and its history.

So today we're taking a look at our most recent trip to the "poor but sexy" capital of Germany.

Let's take a walk through my town.




The Bernauer Strasse U-Bahn station is the site of some interesting Berlin Wall history. When the wall was built, the houses that used to be here were right on the edge of East and West, and many people jumped from windows into the West to escape. Some even lost their lives in the attempt. A network of escape tunnels were built under the watchtower erected there, though sadly these tunnels were eventually discovered.

Bernauer Strasse is also the site of the famous photo of an East German guard leaping over barbed wire to the West.



the markers in the ground show the locations of escape tunnels and border police towers


During the Cold War, the U-Bahn station was bricked up and unusable. Trains just passed right through without stopping.


After walking all day, on our way back to our hotel we found ourselves in a place that looked a little familiar. Then it hit us...

this is where Fionn and I met each other :)


Ah, romance :)

Happy Tuesday, everyone :)

2 comments :

  1. The city where such romantic and life changing events, or first-times happened in, is always so special! Glad you could go visit again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha "poor but sexy"--I love that! Berlin is seriously amazing. I would love to move there one day!

    ReplyDelete