Monday, February 3, 2014

December in Dubrovnik

It's weird, but I like Dubrovnik better in hindsight. Our trip got off to a rough start-we arrived the day after Christmas, our flight from Zagreb was on a teeny tiny tin can of a propeller plane that bounced around like crazy (and you know I already HATE flying). By the time we arrived at our hotel it was dark, everything was closed, and we ended up ordering pizza from the one place in town that was open.

The next morning we woke up to pouring rain and a negative Nancy hotel employee who told us Dubrovnik was no fun in the winter. Hmph.

Am I sellin' it yet?!

Despite our rocky start and despite the fact that we planned WAY too many days for such a small town, Dubrovnik is pretty cool. It's an ancient walled city with a lot of scars. The history, the architecture, the views...it really had a lot to offer once I got past the crummy weather.





The thing I liked about Dubrovnik is that it felt kind of mysterious. A tad Italian, but then suddenly more Turkish...or Greek? I could never quite pin it down. But still, I liked it.





Fionn and I had lunch at an awesome Bosnian place called the Taj Mahal (dunno about that name..) and then headed down to the marina. The rain let up for a little while, allowing us to see more of the city.




After coming from chilly Amsterdam and Copenhagen, it was neat to see the Croatian coast's take on Christmas decorations. I loved how they used orange leaves for everything.




This church is the site of a famous war photograph from the 1990s. I grew up hearing about the conflict in Yugoslavia as a child, but I didn't know much about it. It was fascinating learning more while we were in the region.







Even though Dubrovnik is swimming in tourists during the summer, it was pretty empty when we were there. It felt like a ghost town, with only stray kittens and the occasional old lady passing us on the stairs.




Even though we got off to a bad start, Croatia grew on me. It's certainly beautiful! Maybe one day I can convince Fionn to go back in the warmer months?



20 comments :

  1. Too bad you didn't go in the summer like you said. It really was beautiful. I loved Dubrovnik.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Maybe one day. It was pretty in December but I think we would have loved it if we'd gone in the warmer months.

      Delete
  2. Still looks very nice to me! How long were you there? We are hoping for just a weekend this summer at some point. I figured Friday lunch to Sunday afternoon was good enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We spent about a week there which was WAY too long. It's a very small town. You could see all of Dubrovnik in 1-2 days and then take a day tour to Montenegro (that was the highlight of our trip). If you have any time left over you could squeeze in a trip to Mostar in Bosnia. It's a very cool region!

      Delete
  3. Wow…it was totally empty there! That had to make for some nice leisurely sight-seeing. Sometimes crowded streets can make for annoying travel. We're heading to Dubrovnik this May and I'm sure it'll be bustling…but I can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The streets are so tiny I imagine it would be a madhouse if the city is flooded with people. Though we wouldn't have minded if a few more things were open! :) If you're going during the high season you'll love it. There is so much to do when the weather is nice. Just prepare for the masses! :)

      Delete
  4. Croatia is one of my dream vacation destinations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look like a ghost town! And I'm glad that after the initial impression it turned out alright :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't help that sometimes I can be a total grumpy cat when it gets cold... ;) Poor Fionn! He's so patient.

      Delete
  6. You've totally sold me on the place. I'm going to put it straight on the travel list. It's a shame it rained so much - rain is probably the one type of weather that can REALLY ruin a day (apart from a heatwave) so I don't blame you for finding it hard to see past the weather at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite the rain, it really was gorgeous. Make sure you go during the nicer months. There is so much to see and do there that's closed during winter. Sad!

      Delete
  7. Dubrovnik is high on my list of places to see before I leave Europe. Thank you for all of the beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful city! Even in the rain! Thanks for linking up with Travel Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The rain just makes it more beautiful and this is a place that I really want to get to some day soon. I love your photographs, so beautiful! Thank you for linking up for Travel Tuesday! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a great day for photos with the deserted streets and rainy weather :)

      Delete
  10. The architecture in Dubrovnik looks so amazing! Like taken from a completely different world! Visiting Dubrovnik - and Croatia in general - has been on my bucket list for a while now - but maybe in the spring or summer time ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really lovely place with cool architecture. It feels like a fantasy novel in some places! I hope you get to visit!

      Delete