Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 in review and an announcement

An awesome year in review...

36 flights
26 trips taken
19 countries traveled
6 guests came to stay
4 times breaking out the swimsuit
3 continents visited
1 trip back home

This was an amazing travel year for us. I visited my 30th country and Fionn visited his 43rd, taking us from southern Europe to northern Africa to the Arctic Circle. Needless to say, our travel bug bit us a lot this year! My favorite trips were to Iceland and Greece and Fionn's were to Morocco and Scotland


The trip we're currently on has taken us to Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Croatia, Montenegro, and tomorrow we're off for Bosnia. I have to say, the Croatia leg of the trip has been a let down. Things are really dead this time of year and we were not all that thrilled by Dubrovnik and Split. It's just not our kind of place. I'm hoping Croatia will get better, but we have not enjoyed it thus far. I'm disappointed, but if this is the first dud trip we've had all year, I can deal with that! Montenegro was awesome, which made up for it a little!

Though you probably don't believe it, we did do things besides travel. I have made so many great friends this year, both in real life and through blogging. What a great little community this is! All the ladies I've met this year have been such a bright spot in my life. Here in Bavaria, my friends and I have celebrated engagements, weddings, new babies, new jobs, and sadly, a few goodbyes as well. I have never had so many awesome girlfriends before. When they threw me a surprise birthday party a few weeks ago, I couldn't help but get a little teary. These girls have made my first foray into Army wife life so much fun.


And as for all of you out in blog land, thank YOU! I have loved getting to know you and knowing I'm not the only one who goes through bad expat days. Just having someone who gets it or can offer a kind word, has made blogging such a joy for me this year. 

Fionn and I celebrated our second wedding anniversary this year and spent our NYE's quietly by watching fireworks and sharing a kiss and some Croatian cake. It was nice. I like that about being 25, I don't have to feel guilty about staying in ;)

All in all, 2013 was a great year. And now? That announcement I promised you...


We are MOVING TO AMERICA!

Yep, it's true. Fionn got orders a few weeks ago, but I haven't wanted to say anything because...well it didn't seem real. Even though a part of me is excited, another part is massively conflicted. I love Europe. I've been here nearly 5 years. Fionn and I met, fell in love, and started our life here. The third weekend we knew each other I came to Bavaria and hung out with Fionn in the apartment that is now our home. Bavaria feels like our home, and it's hard to leave it. It's hard to imagine how life is going to change, how the blog will change, and how much I will leave behind that I love-friends, family, tasty German food and of course, the travel.

But the new year means new beginnings. A new city, a promotion for Fionn, some new travel opportunities, and who knows what else. For all we know the Army will pull a fast one on us and send us back to Germany! We shall see. I'm excited for more personal opportunities for myself, the chance to do more with my music and my degree and being close to my friends and family back home. 

We move in February, so January will probably be a hot mess of moving chaos and cardboard boxes. Here's to all the fun 2014 is sure to bring. :)


12 comments :

  1. Hope you enjoy Bosnia, I loved Sarajevo last year (how weird does last year sound!)... Happy New Year, and congrats on your announcement, hope all goes well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Wow, Sara from LPV is going back too! Where are you guys headed?

    I'm a little sad....not sure why since we have never met but I think it's just nice knowing and hearing from other expats here in Germany. I wish you guys the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sad too! I love having my blogger expat community and it bums me out I won't be part of it anymore. But never say never, watch me end up back in Europe in like a year ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, the move back to America. Exciting news! If anything, like you said, you will at least be able to start working on your career. I think about that all the time living here, but the trade off of travel gets me through it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW i'm surprised you didn't like Dubrovnik. I went in July and LOVED it, but it might have been the timing was off for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could definitely stay in Germany longer, but it'll be nice going back to. A job would be nice!

      I think winter is just a bad time to do Croatia. Lots of things are closed and you can't really enjoy nature. But as I told Fionn, this is our first dud trip of 26! So not too bad :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, what a change for the New Year! Hopefully your new duty station will have lots of places for you to explore near it…it may not be Europe, but at least you can still travel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I'm excited for the new chapter. It's just always hard to leave friends and familiarity behind

      Delete
  6. What bitter-sweet news! I'm sure the adventure will continue wherever you are though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm right there with ya Shannon! 2014 is the year of The Return! Fingers crossed for smooth moves for both of us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that! "Year of the Return". Are you changing your blog name?

      Delete