Monday, November 25, 2013

Thanksgiving when you're far from home

In the past 5 years, I've been home for Thanksgiving once. Every other Thanksgiving has been spent in Europe. Even though it makes me sad to miss spending time with my family and doing all the usual traditions, I have been so blessed through all these years to have incredible friends who became my surrogate family. This year was no exception!

This month has been crazy, since my husband and most of my friends' husbands have been working long, erratic hours and have been gone for days at a time. There's been a lot of girl time, dinners together, and wine and crafting nights to take our minds off empty houses and silent cell phones. Since all of us are far from home, we decided to do a potluck Thanksgiving!

by far the cutest attendee


Unfortunately, schedules changed and most of the husbands couldn't attend (Fionn included), but we still had a great time together and invited the hubbies who were home, along with some single soldiers! 

Luckily for the guys, we made a LOT of food! :)





It was such a good night-everyone got to enjoy their favorite Thanksgiving goodies, we had a great time playing with my friend's adorable baby, and we got to choose between 4 different desserts! It was an awesome night of food, fellowship, and friendship. As much as I miss my family around this time of year, I loved getting to celebrate with my "Bavaria family".

That is one thing I LOVE about living abroad. The friends you make are so amazing. These girls have been there for me in so many situations and I am so thankful to have met them. Especially since most of us don't have kids of our own (or are very new to the whole parenthood thing) it's cool that we can get together as a "family" during holidays like this. 





Have you ever celebrated Thanksgiving with friends when you were far from family?

In honor of Thanksgiving, this week I'm looking back on some of my favorite Turkey day memories from my years abroad and reflecting on what I'm thankful for. Hope you enjoy my little trip down memory lane! :)

2 comments :

  1. This will be my third year of making Thanksgiving dinner and having it with friends, and I look forward to it every year! Sometimes you are thinking you are just making do with what you've got, but then it turns into a tradition you look forward to. Glad you've got such a great support system there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some ways I like thanksgiving with friends better. You get to see a little bit of everyone's traditions and memories, so it's always different! :)

      Delete