Wednesday, November 13, 2013

November Expat Q&A

This month I thought it'd be fun to participate in Expat Q&A hosted by Bailie and Belinda. It's always fun meeting fellow expats!

Q1: What advice would you give to your pre-expat self?

Wow...where to start??

First I would say, congratulations. Congratulations on being brave enough to take the first, terrifying leap towards living your dream. It's scary, but you won't regret it!

taken a few months before I met Fionn, Bavaria, and huge life changes!

Second I would say, manage your expectations. Every move, whether you are moving across the ocean or across your state, will come with its own "period of suck". You're new, you don't know anyone, you don't have a routine. That will come, but not right away. For this move in particular, you have to factor in the fact that you've just gotten married, jumped headfirst in the insanity that is the military lifestyle, and really "left home" for the first time. You WILL NOT adjust to all of these changes right away and that is totally normal! Don't beat yourself up and assume you've failed.


Third, try to see this as an adventure. There will be bad days, frustrations, and dead ends that will make you ask, what the heck am I doing here?? Have your bad day and move on. Because truly, you are doing something extraordinary. Cherish that, because things change!

Q2: How do you reconcile what you thought life would be like in your new home and it is in actuality? i.e. did you think you would be fluent in your new language and your are struggling with the basics.

I thought I would make a lot more German friends. That has been really hard for me. I have a lot of German friends from my past experiences abroad, but I can count on one hand the local friends I've made here in Bavaria. I love love LOVE my fellow expats here, but I still wish I had integrated a little more.

I also thought I would be able to easily find a job here. HAH. That's a rant for another day. :P

do my sunglasses make me unapproachable?

Now I've got my own question for any of my fellow expats:

If you could do it all over again, would you choose the expat life?

My answer? Yes. Despite the heartache, headaches, and general pains in the butt that have come with deciding to move abroad, I would do it again. And again. How about you?

Looking forward to reading your comments!



9 comments :

  1. Oh, it's so important to remember that there's always a "period of suck" no matter where you go. Despite that, I'd do it again. In a heartbeat. The adventures that have come out of the trials have been worth it. And you learn a lot about yourself in the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my funny expat stories have certainly made some if the frustrating times worthwhile! :)

      Delete
  2. I so agree that letting yourself have a bad say is so necessary! And to answer your question I would do it all over again and again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think expat ladies are some of the bravest I know. It takes a lot to start over in a foreign country!

      Delete
  3. So cool to read this... your courage and positivity always encourage me. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, you're so sweet! You're pretty courageous yourself. :) sometimes we just need to be reminded!

      Delete
  4. It is so important to remember that the bad days are only 24hours, and the period of suck will end, but it's also SO hard whilst you're in the middle of one. I tend to find them when I'm tired or sick and they take over.
    And the answer is most definitely yes, I'd definitely make the move to England again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a new expat for the second time, I'm in the middle of the "period of suck" but I know it gets better. It already has. You just have to keep on keepin' on! And clearly I would do it again. :-) This experience is like no other!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worry about finding a job too! I move in 3 months to London and my current job is so niche, I'd have to swallow my pride and take a step backwards in my career I think.

    ReplyDelete