Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Weekend in Paris: Shopping in Le Marais

Last weekend, Fionn and I headed to Paris. My grandmother has lived there my entire life, so I've been to the City of Lights more time than I can count. That being said, Paris has had a huge influence on my life. Though I've been visiting there since I was a baby, it wasn't until I was a teenager that I started spending whole summers there. I was enchanted with Paris-its sophistication, its history, its culture, its je ne sais quoi. It was always the first stop before my studies abroad, a familiar "home" to return to during my times abroad, and the place of a thousand memories. Even though Fionn had been before, I was eager to show him "my" Paris.


We only had 2 full days in Paris, but since we'd already seen the highlights we focused on spending time with Oma, shopping (no offense Germans, but your fashion is atrocious), and gorging ourselves on delicious pastries. It was a really laid back weekend, which suited both of us just fine :)


Saturday, Oma treated us to a awesome breakfast with lots of tasty pastries. Fionn explored the traditional Saturday market around the corner from her apartment and I got a haircut (finally!). 

After lunch we decided to focus on shopping, we spent most of Saturday in la Marais, a neighborhood in the 3rd arrondissement where you can find boutiques, second hand stores, and charming streets. We found some fantastic deals in the many thrift stores around there. 




Of course, we had to stop for macarons!


The rest of the afternoon was spent strolling through beautiful Parisian streets, stopping in cafes for overpriced coffee, and dreaming of Parisian expat life...




ah, la vie Parisienne!


Ready for more French updates? They're comin'!



7 comments :

  1. What a wonderful weekend! How lucky for you that going to Paris, is almost like going home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lucky to have family in Paris. You really get to relax, do some slow travel and do some stuff outside of all the touristy stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing is you can never run out of things to do here!

      Delete
  3. The idea of staying there with family - a grandmother who provides you with such an amazing breakfast - leaves me so jealous! It's really cool that you know Paris so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful trip! I love that you are so acquainted with the city, that you don't have to worry about seeing all of the tourist highlights and can visit more like a local. What a great experience!

    ReplyDelete