Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Pumpkin Scones

Yeah, yeah, I'm totally jumping on the pumpkin bandwagon. But these tasty scones were born out of perfect storm of afternoon boredom, drizzly weather, and 1 cup of leftover pumpkin puree taking up space in my fridge. Tired of pumpkin bread, bars, muffins, and pasta filling, I thought, why not scones?


I used the Brown Eyed Baker's recipe but tweaked it a little bit, adding in some whole wheat flour, brown sugar, and a bit of maple syrup. Yum yum. They're good hot out of the oven and cold a day later for breakfast. The original recipe called for a glaze, but I wasn't wild about it and prefer my scones plain. If you'd prefer your scones with glaze, check out the original recipe for her directions.



Adapted from the Brown Eyed Baker
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
6 Tablespoons cold butter
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
½ cup canned pumpkin
3 Tablespoons whole milk or buttermilk
1 large egg

Preheat oven to 400* F/200* C

Grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.

Mix dry ingredients together. Cut butter into small pieces and use your hands to grind it into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse sand and the butter chunks are the size of small peas.

In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients and pour into the dry ingredients. Working quickly, combine everything until the dough forms into a ball. You can roll it out on a flour surface to make it a little prettier, but I just form it into a round shape (scraggly edges and all) and cut it into 6 to 8 triangles. 

Arrange the triangles on baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, so until the tops spring back when touched. Be careful you don't overcook them, you don't want dry scones!

Yum yum yum!




6 comments :

  1. I think you just gave me plans for my other box of frozen pumpkin sitting in my freezer. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! They were so tasty. Fionn declared them the best I've ever made :)

      Delete
  2. Oh man, these look awesome! I love pumpkin everything and scones sound like the perfect vehicle :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I need to hop on that pumpkin bandwagon!

    ReplyDelete