Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Sorry it's been quiet...

Hello everyone! The past two weeks have been kind of hectic-Fionn has been gone for work, my volunteer commitments are in full swing, government shutdown means a lot of our resources have been put on hold, and honestly, there hasn't been much going on that I'd consider blog worthy. Weather is fall like. Laundry is done. There is a wasp nest in the our attic. Y'know, usual lifey things that don't inspire me to sit down and get to writing.


I have been working on completing my 25 by 25 list though! The past month Fionn and I finally decided to take the plunge and start buying real, grown up furniture. Our apartment is currently furnished by the landlord, which means we'll have no furniture of our own when we move back to America. Luckily, we found an old china cabinet and an antique wooden chest (probably from the early 1800s by the looks of it) for an absolute bargain at a nearby antique store. Now to find a dining room table and chairs...



We've even been looking at living room rugs! We are really starting with nothin'!



The good thing is that this downtime has given me time to think about what I DO want to write about, so I wanted to update you on that instead! So here are some posts you have to look forward to...

-Weekend in Paris! That's right! Fionn and I are headed to Paris this weekend! I have family in Paris and I've spent more summers there than I can count, so I'd love to talk about Paris beyond the Eiffel Tower/Louvre/Montmatre path. Plus I am excited to stroll through the most romantic city in the world with my darling Fionn. Ah, la belle amour!

-Return of Tasty Tuesday! I know you're probably pumpkined out, but I have a fab pumpkin-cream cheese bar recipe that I've tried out on Fionn and friends to rave reviews. I'm just sharing the love, y'all.

-Getting over my fear of flying. Have I ever mentioned I'm terrified of airplanes? Well, I am. And since we've been on 25 flights this year alone, getting over my fear has been an ongoing journey and I'd like to help anyone else who's going through something similar.

-Sometimes Being an Expat Sucks Part 3: When Home Moves on Without You. This has been one thing I really struggled with in my expat life-adjusting to the idea that home doesn't stay still as your life moves on. I have loved the conversation and connection this series has brought me and others, so I'd love to keep the discussion going!

-And of course, our upcoming travel adventures...

Thank you so much for all your travel suggestions! We've got some ideas in store for Thanksgiving and Christmas that I can't wait to share with you! :)

Happy Tuesday, everyone :)


4 comments :

  1. I'm interested in hearing about your story of getting over flying fright. I've been developing a stronger fear the more flights I take (I think it should go the other way around), so I'd like to know what your "tips" are.
    And your furniture finds are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so happy about our antique store finds!

      Honestly, I've read that the more you fly the more you're likely to develop a fear (totally backward, right?). I never enjoyed flying but when I started flying more the fear got out of control. It's a work in progress, but I've definitely made strides in the last year.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait for part 3! I think this is by far the hardest part of expat life. I struggle with it everyday and I hope someday I'll be at ease with all of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. Especially if I'm having a bad homesick day. I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

      Delete