Friday, October 25, 2013

Arc de Triomphe and strolling les Champs Elysees


Can you believe world traveling Fionn had never seen the Arc de Triomphe? I know, me neither. Obviously we had to remedy this!


The Arc de Triomphe was built by Napoleon as a monument to his victories. You can go up to the top (via lots of stairs) but we decided to skip the line and just admire it from the ground (bonus: it's free!)



The tomb of the unknown soldier is also located here. Once we got to spend Bastille Day in Paris and saw the whole ceremony they do to honor them. It was very moving.



I love the details on the arch. Every time I visit I find something new. We noticed some German towns near us were listed among his conquests!


just adding to Fionn's Mr. Cool photo collection


Vive la France!

Since it was Sunday, we took a stroll down the Champs Elysees and checked out some of the open stores. It was really a perfect fall day, we couldn't ask for better weather.




Je m'baladais sur l'avenue
Le coeur ouvert à l'inconnu
J'avais envie de dire bonjour
À n'importe qui
N'importe qui ce fut toi
Je t'ai dit n'importe quoi
Il suffisait de te parler
Pour t'apprivoiser

Aux Champs-Élysées
Aux Champs-Élysées
Au soleil, sous la pluie
À midi ou à minuit
Il y a tout ce que vous voulez
Aux Champs-Élysées



I went for a walk on the avenue
my heart open to the unknown
I felt like greeting whoever
Whoever, was you,
I said anything to you
It was enough to speak to you,
to get to know you.

On Champs-Elysées,
On Champs-Elysées
In the sun, in the rain,
at midday or at midnight
There is all that you want
On Champs-Elysées.


Is the song stuck in your head now? :)


8 comments :

  1. Lovely photos. I really need to make a trip to France.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo you captioned "vive la France", the eyes of the top person in the sculpture totally freak me out and make me laugh at the same time!
    And yes, that song is stuck in my head... since we had it as a listening comprehension in 2nd year it always jumps right in whenever the Champs Elysees is mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower on here and instagram! My fiancé and I are going to start traveling next year, and I've found quite a few new places to go, thanks to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exciting! Do you know where you're going to start your travels? Sometimes planning is half the fun :)

      Delete
    2. Fun...and stressful haha! We're getting married next fall and are having a lot of trouble deciding where to go for our honeymoon because there's so many choices! Our top picks are Iceland, London, Switzerland, and Ireland. And Greece. And Italy. And Egypt. See our problem? :) I'm thinking we'll probably go to Iceland or Switzerland for our honeymoon and then one or two places each year after that. All I know is I've got a major urge to travel!

      Delete
    3. That is tough, since all those places are amazing. Greece was one of the most romantic places I've ever been (and cheap!) but really you can't go wrong with any of the destinations. At least you have a willing travel companion! :)

      Delete