Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Where to go for Christmas? Help!


Ok, travel lovers. I'd like your input. 

Fionn and I were brainstorming where to go for Christmas, and we made a list of the places we haven't been in Europe. Maybe we should revisit countries we've already been to? None of these places seem very nice in the winter, but maybe they have great Christmas traditions we don't know about.

Or maybe we should branch out to other continents? What's a place that's close to Europe but will be way farther once we're back in America?

I'd love to hear any idea you've got! We won't be in Europe forever, so we want to travel now!

Suggestions anyone?

Albania
Andorra
Armenia
Belarus
Bosnia
Bulgaria
Croatia (this will probably be our Thanksgiving destination though)
Cyprus
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
Georgia
Iceland
Lithuania
Macedonia
Malta
Moldova
Monaco
Montenegro
Russia
San Marino
Serbia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Sweden
Switzerland
Ukraine

If it has a strike through it, Fionn has been there and I haven't. Did I mention he's got one blank page left in his passport?? No doubt about it, I married a travel addict!


17 comments :

  1. Last year, I was in the same exact dilemma... where to go around Christmas?? We decided on Paris for 5 days and then Belgium for 5 days. It seems you already have Paris covered, but I don't see Belgium on your list of travels. I highly recommend Belgium! We had so much fun in the cold! We stayed in Brussels which was great, and Bruges is the cutest little town! We did not have time for Gent but I heard it is also terrific. Anyway, if you have time, take a look at my pages on Belgium on my blog. Best of luck! So jealous you are on the mainland :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're looking for somewhere that you can live it up, but not spend much, I can't say enough good about Tallinn, Estonia. It's cheap and just so beautiful when covered in snow. If you want somewhere more expensive, but still very beautiful, Sweden! Though in Sweden's case, don't go too far north if you like sunlight that time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I've always thought Estonia seemed neat...

      Delete
  3. I HIGHLY recommend Iceland! We lived there for 2 years and it was nothing less than Amazing!! I want to go back and visit after we get settled in Germany :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will it still be nice during Christmas? Iceland conjures up images of arctic temps, but maybe that's not the case?

      Delete
  4. I keep hearing amazing things about Iceland (but the frozen tundra might be a bit daunting in December?). I have a friend who studied in Estonia and she said it was so incredibly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We visited Latvia but everyone told us Estonia is the place to go. Argh! So many options!

      Delete
  5. I know you are doing it by country but my favorite Christmas Markets in Germany last year were Schloss Guteneck and Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rothenburg's market is definitely on my list this year!

      Delete
  6. You're lucky that you married a travel addict! I hope my future husband loves traveling as much as I do.

    This may sound odd, but Istanbul is a very enjoyable city to visit. The food was great and everything is so pretty there! I would like to visit any of the countries you listed too though. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew he was a keeper when within an hour of talking with him he'd recounted funny stories from 10 different countries. I think travel lovers attract likeminded people :)

      Delete
  7. Go to Iceland! It's a fantastic location and "wintery!" We absolutely loved Iceland and new follower by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you just inspired me to start looking up flight prices...so tempting!

      Delete
  8. You could go to Romania! The northern part in Maramures is wonderful in the winter and they most certainly have traditions that will be new to you! Or the Sibiu/Brasov area, which has a lot of wonderful villages nearby where you could observe the natural, sometimes wild, beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I kept browsing through your blog I saw that you have already been to Romania... boy, you guys travel a lot! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we definitely have been around a time or two! ;) I wish we'd had more time in Transylvania though!

      Delete