Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The color and chaos of Marrakech

I was going through travel pictures the other day for my photo wall (part of my 25 by 25 list!) and came upon some great pictures of Marrakech that I never uploaded to the blog. Sure, I talked about what we did, but I really feel like I missed the opportunity to show you the city itself. So without further ado, let's go back to Morocco!

Marrakech is the most exciting (and sometimes exhausting) place I have ever been. There was always a swirl of color and activity, whether it was 10pm or 7am. 





Marrakech is sometimes called the "pink city" due to its pink hued buildings, but Marrakech can't be defined by one color. In particular, we noticed how colorful the people were. Men pushed past in mustard colored djellabas while woman in hot pink floral headscarves haggled over dried figs. 




In addition to the color, Marrakech is always moving. As our guide pointed out to us, pedestrians rank 4th in order of importance-AFTER cars, buses, donkey carts, and mopeds. Add to that the fact that we didn't see a single cross walk the whole time we were in Marrakech, and crossing the street can be a terrifying experience!





Even though wandering around Marrakech sometimes felt like running the gauntlet, it remains one of the coolest places I've ever been.

Are you interested in Morocco? Want to see some more Morocco pictures that never made it to the blog? :)




3 comments :

  1. Those photos really do show the colour and bustle and movement... really it looks so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want to make it to Morocco. My aunt bought me a doll from there when I was little and I was intrigued ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go! It's such an easy flight from Munich. Morocco is just exotic enough without being overwhelming. And the markets! You would have a field day ;) Bring an extra suitcase, seriously.

      Delete