Sunday, September 1, 2013

Beauty in the Right Now

As you know, this has been a travel heavy month for me. Every weekend it's been a new place, hours spent on trains, planes, and automobiles, and lots of solo waiting and reflecting since Fionn has had to work through all his weekends this month. All that travel time got me thinking about travel, blogging, and how I approach things in my life.


As much as I love blogging, sometimes I feel like it contributes to our society's tendency to live for proof of the moment rather than the moment itself. It's like that saying, "If it's not on Facebook, it didn't happen?" I'm guilty of that too as I try to document all the parts of my life (especially when I know I'll blog about it later!). Will this be a good shot? Does this angle capture the moment I'm in exactly? Will people be able to feel what I feel right now?

When that becomes your motivation for traveling or heck, for living life, I think you've lost something. I really try to focus on living my life in a meaningful way, so that thought stopped me right in my tracks.

The past two weekend in Ireland and Berlin were so much fun, and a lot of the highlights of those weekends were not caught on film. And that's ok! I think you have to actively cultivate the habit of living in the moment. At my friend's birthday party in Berlin this weekend, we hung out together til 4 am. I only took 3 photos the entire night, but my memories of laughing with old friends, hugging the birthday boy as he celebrated his last year in his 20s, and the sheer joy I felt being reunited with a good friend from my French study abroad I haven't seen since 2010-those are the real moments that meant the most to me, though they exist only in my mental file. It was one of the best nights of my life.

I guess what it all boils down to is that I really want to enjoy the moment. See the beauty in the everyday. Admire the gifts that I have. Life moves so incredibly fast, and when I only think about the future and what's next, I miss the present. As an expat (and also as an Army Wife) it's hard not to worry about future uncertainties and just focus on TODAY. My life can change so much in 2 years, 6 months, or even 2 weeks! But I want to enjoy the present moments while I have them. And honestly, that's why I love to blog in the first place. I love to document the present, the everyday. It makes me thankful. :)

It's the small stuff!

Anywho, that's my philosophical rambling for the day. Just more proof that travel is good for your soul. Anyone else feel this way? How do you appreciate the good in today?

6 comments :

  1. I absolutely agree and for me it is easier said than done, but I look back and wonder what I may have missed out on by being absorbed in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I just want to enjoy the season I'm in, y'know?

      Delete
  2. SO true! While I love taking photos, sometimes I want to see what's in front of me without a lense (or LCD screen) in the way. I feel like even from weddings, so much is organised specifically because it will look good in a photo that the actual meaning is lost, which we tried to avoid. And that so easily happens in real life, where I find things beautiful but want to get the perfect photo, instead of enjoying the authentic experience of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I JUST came across this video, which you may have seen... but this is what I mean... :)
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OINa46HeWg8

      Delete
    2. I saw that video too! It really summed up exactly what I was thinking. Love it!

      Delete
  3. Everything you said totally resonated with me, Shannon!

    You are SO right. I will never forget a time when I was with my girlfriend in Berlin, and I was trying to take photographs to "document" a certain moment-- that she told me... "wait a second, lets just... enjoy this moment. We don't need proof on camera." That comment has always stuck with me because there is so much truth in it. Thanks for reminding me of this. :)

    ReplyDelete