Monday, September 30, 2013

A Pilgrimage to St. Bartholomä

St. Bartholomä is another stop on the Königssee, Germany's gorgeous crystal clear lake in the Bavarian Alps. It's a traditional pilgrimage site, since St. Bartholomew is the patron saint of alpine farmers and dairymen. You can only get there by boat or by hiking over the Watzmann mountains...we chose the boat!




There isn't much going on besides the small chapel, a restaurant/inn once popular among Bavarian royalty, and numerous hiking trails into the mountains or to the nearby ice caves. It's incredibly beautiful though, and was a perfect place to spend the afternoon.




The one thing you CAN'T miss here is the food. All the ingredients come from the surrounding area and are amazingly delicious. Fionn's mom and I both tried the trout, caught fresh from the Königssee itself. Seriously, some of the best fish I've ever eaten in my life (and I grew up on the coast!).

All the other dishes being ordered by our neighbors looked amazing too-we were sad we weren't hungrier!





After that we decided to say goodbye to the Königssee and see more of Berchtesgaden!

4 comments :

  1. This looks like such a beautiful place! Just the sort of place I'd love to visit. And your photographs are fantastic - thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How absolutely GORGEOUS! And now you have my craving fish. I've never had one baked whole and it looks like a challenge (a delicious challenge) that I would be up for :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh beautiful! I went just a couple o' weeks just before, and have very similar photos: http://www.artsinmunich.com/2013/09/04/koenigssee-eagles-nest-st-batholomew/ Wasn't the fish gooood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is too cool! I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as we did! :)

      Delete