Thursday, August 15, 2013

August Expat Q&A

This month I thought it'd be fun to participate in Expat Q&A hosted by Bailie and Belinda. It's always fun meeting fellow expats!

August Questions:
1. What is your favorite food store in your city and why?

I love the German grocery store, Rewe. I feel like it's the German equivalent of Publix, and I always find cool cheeses, jams, and my personal favorite, Biscoff Cookie Spread. Be STILL, my heart!!

Biscoff Cookie Spread Chocolate Chip Cookies. Cookie in a cookie?? Delicious madness.


I also love the German Organic stores you can find in the bigger towns. They have so many delicious specialty things, I can't go in without buying like 5 things.

2. For your answer to number 1 is it ok to buy the store brand items or do you pay extra for a name brand?

Store brand all the way! Well, unless it's something like Dutch cheese or Italian proscuitto...I'll pay more for that.

3. What do you think is the best way to get about your city? i.e. bus, bike, car, etc

Car, definitely. Our area is so rural you can either drive, walk, or talk your 20 mph tractor. But if I'm venturing to civilization (the city 30 minutes from us), train all the way! Then my feets. It's very walkable.

4.. Which store do you turn to for basics like toilet paper or cleaning supplies?

The cheap German grocery stores like Lidl, Aldi, Norma, or Netto. Nine paper towel rolls for 2 euro? Yes please.

5. Where do you think is the best place in your city to get a cup of coffee (or beverage you prefer) and catch up with friends?

There's a little coffee shop in the next town over that has amazing cakes, coffee, and brunch. It's my go to when it's time for some girl time. Or on Sundays, the Cow Cafe is nice-you get to eat homemade cake while looking out onto the cows in the barn. It's just as Bavarian as it sounds :)

Seriously, you can have coffee and cake in a plexiglass-ed cafe above a cow barn. 
Welcome to Bavaria.


Plus these questions from Emma, at Adventures of a London Kiwi:
What was your “eureka, I’m practically a native” moment?

When I stopped getting excited about Oktoberfest? ;) No, I think it was when I lived in Berlin and noticed I could auto pilot my commute to work. That made me feel like a real Berliner. And when I reflexively say "Guten Appetit" to strangers eating a sandwich. :)

Does your real accent get in the way?
I practiced really hard on my accent, so I sometimes have the problem that Germans initially think I'm a German...until two sentences later and I've mangled the conjugation of something. So I tend to play up my accent if it's a hard conversation-like that time I drove onto the pedestrian sidewalk and had to explain myself to the Polizei!

I have a lot of trouble with the Bavarian accent though! They mostly think I'm from the Berlin area.

The dirndl and pretzel jewelry give me street cred 'round these parts


So that's it! Check out the link below to see what other expats said!

Found Love. Now What?

I'm heading to Ireland tomorrow for the Fleadh Cheoil, which is kind of like the Olympics of Irish Music. Getting to go has been a lifelong dream of mine (and #11 on my 25 by 25 list!), so I am SO EXCITED to listen to some amazing music, hopefully meet my childhood singing idol (who's having a free concert tomorrow night), and meet some fellow Trad lovers.

Any other Irish music fans out there? :)

11 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. It's so so so good. If I'm not careful I'll go through a jar a week!

      Delete
  2. I love reading expat stories, I'm so glad I found your blog today! Cookie spread has hit Trader Joe's over here in America, but I HIGHLY doubt it is as good as the real thing. Looks delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can find it, I highly recommend using it to make these cookies: http://kirbiecravings.com/2012/01/chewy-biscoff-chocolate-chip-cookies.html . They are sinfully good!

      Delete
  3. Hello from the link-up!

    We have Lidl and Aldi here in the UK so there are many good deals to be found and some interesting foodie items! I wish my local one did the cookie spread as that looks awesome!

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already told my husband we are stocking up on cookie spread before we move back! :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for linking up with us! I also play up my Americanness when greeting new people so as to not get stuck in crazy not understanding situations! O and when we lived in Southern Sweden we had a Netto close to us and I loved going in there so see what crazy things they had that week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cookie spread sounds amazing! I found myself getting more and more 'at home' when I realised I could find my way around too

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard about that cookie spread, and will make it one of my life's missions to get my hands on some. And using it to make cookies?! GENIUS! Also- pretzel jewelry? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post - and the fact that you play up your accent sometimes. I usually use being foreign when I get us lost!
    That pretzel necklace is SO cute!

    ReplyDelete