Tuesday, August 27, 2013

A Day in Dublin with the Concertina Chemist

Once the Fleadh was over, I headed back to Dublin to catch my flight to Munich. I had a free day in Dublin, so I called up an old friend of mine who lives there and was happy when he said he could meet up and show me around a little. He's a great concertina player, the guy who seems to know everyone in the Irish music community, an all around nice guy, and he's getting a PhD in Chemistry. Talk about a Jack of All Trades, right? He's also camera shy, so I told him I'd give him a super secret alias when I recapped our day in Dublin.

So, without further ado, I present a day in Dublin with the Concertina Chemist! :)






Since I only had a few hours before my flight, we mostly stayed around the Trinity College and Temple Bar area, but it was still great. I always love having locals show me around their city. Yeah, you don't get an "official tour", but I like seeing what real people like-where's the best place for a session? Where did you once see something funny? Where's the best place for ice cream? (more on that in a minute!)

And honestly, as a former tour guide, I get very bored with official tours. Show me the real life!




Molly Malone and the Polish man putting on his fuzzy leprechaun costume...not kidding


I really like Dublin because it has kind of an edgy vibe to it that makes it fun. It's also very historical, which appeals to a nerd like me. We lamented how touristy Temple Bar has become...it's always sad when you see the chain restaurants and Chinese magnet stores start popping up...


CC himself! Told you he was camera shy




One stop on our tour I really liked was Trinity College. Their campus is gorgeous! I'm jealous CC gets to call it home (though I think he's pretty tired of student life after years slaving away)







Pretty soon CC had to head to a class, so we said our goodbyes and headed in our respective directions. Since I had some time before my flight still, I took CC's advice and checked out a local ice cream place called Murphy's that he guaranteed me was pretty dang awesome.



The thing I liked immediately is that they had lots of choices. Not just the usual stuff, but different things like Sea Salt, Guinness, Brown Bread and Orange Marmalade! I liked that they had lactose free options too!

On CC's advice, I went for Kieran's Cookies and Sea Salt.

Oh my gosh, y'all. It was good. Verrrrrry good. I was sad I hadn't gone for a bigger cone so I could have tried more flavors! The cookies were just sweet enough with a little crunch and the sea salt was a really pleasant blend of salty and sweet. I'll admit, I was a little skeptical, but they got that balance perfect. Plus they harvest their own sea salt!




The guys behind the counter were extremely nice, and I liked that all of their ingredients were so fresh and local. All in all I just really liked this place. I can see why CC recommended it!


If you're in Dublin and hankering for ice cream, you can find Murphy's Ice Cream at 27 Wicklow St. They also have shops in Killarney and Dingle if you're in that neck of the woods!

Happily full of ice cream, I had to get on the road or I'd miss my flight. One last look at the Liffey...



Then a scone and tea for the road and we were headed back to Germany!


Even though it was a brief trip, it was nice seeing an old friend and trying some awesome ice cream. I love Dublin! Are you inspired to head on over to Dublin? :)

Welcome to all the Travel Tuesday-ers! Go check out this super fun link up if you haven't already! :)

A Compass Rose

7 comments :

  1. I'm always jealous when I see beautiful universities! And sea salt icecream...? I would never have thought of it, and I'd also be pretty dubious - glad it was good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures and that ice cream looks amazing! I loved Dublin when I got to go and can't wait to return! -Alex @ Our Lives Are An Open Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful campus (and city)! I love all the cobble stone roads and brightly painted store fronts. Plus, you can't go wrong with a Polish man donning his leprechaun costume. Looks like a seriously good time, especially since you had just a few hours to spend in Dublin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to the countryside of Ireland but not yet to Dublin. We've been wanting to go, but not yet made it. We're headed this October, back to the countryside though, but I'll have to check out the Murphy's if we go to Dingle. Love me some good local ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to go to Dublin (or really all of Ireland) so badly!!! It is on the tippy top of my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Molly Malone!!! I love that tune.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to go to that ice cream place, Murphys looks great! Thank you for linking up with me for Travel Tuesdays!

    Bonnie Rose | A Compass Rose an expat lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete