Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Curried Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

My mom used to make a variation of this when I was a kid, and for some reason this past week I was craving it like crazy. Since I didn't have her recipe and by the time I realized I wanted it it was too late to call her, I made up my own. It turned out great! :)



Ingredients

-fresh head of broccoli
-chicken breast, cooked and diced
-egg noodles
-3 Tbsp. butter
-2 Tbsp. flour
-1/2 cup milk
-1 chicken bouillon cube
-2 Tbsp. curry
-Cheddar cheese, grated
-1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
-1/3 cup seasoned Italian breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 350 F/180 C

I used leftover cooked chicken, but if you don't have that on hand, take chicken breasts and season with salt, pepper, and whatever else you prefer (garlic powder is a nice touch). Saute the chicken until it's cooked through and dice. Set aside.

Chop fresh broccoli and steam until crisp. Meanwhile, cook egg noodles until al dente.

Mix broccoli, chicken, and egg noodles together and put them into a greased casserole dish.

In a small saucepan, cook butter and flour on low heat, stirring constantly until it becomes golden brown. Add chicken bouillon cube and milk and stir until it becomes a thick sauce (this will take a few minutes, keep stirring!) Once sauce has thickened, add the curry, stir, and pour over the chicken and broccoli mixture.

Mix grated cheddar cheese and breadcrumbs together and sprinkle over the casserole.

Cook for 20-30 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment