Thursday, March 28, 2013

March in America cont'd


Of course during my time in Savannah I had to make a stop at the best coffee shop EVER, Cutter's Point! It was awesome seeing all my old coworkers and drinking a perfectly made soy latte. Steaming soy milk is hard to get just right and after a year of really awful slightly warmed up soy milk with espresso our local coffee shop tries to pass off as a latte, it was great to drink a proper one. It was a little weird being at work and not working. I kept hearing the buzzer go off for a new customer and instinctively wanted to go over or start rolling napkins or something. Luckily they didn't put me to work ;)

I spent a lot of time outside that week, enjoying warm weather, sunshine, and of course beautiful lowcountry scenery. Nothing speaks to my heart quite like marshes and spanish moss and those softly swaying marsh grasses with the crabs scurrying around. It was nice to just soak up that atmosphere again and enjoy feeling home.



I spent my last few days in Savannah watching the city prepare for St. Paddy's madness. I thought about staying for the parade, but after 10 years of experience I decided I didn't have the patience for it, especially since my friends were all leaving town or working. Still, the city's energy was fun :)


My last stop in Savannah was the DH. I saw their tea program (and resisted to urge to shout out my old lines!), visited with all my friends there, and visited the marker they put up in honor and memory of our dear Emily. It was a little emotional for me to be there for the first time since her death, but I tried to enjoy it for the happy memories we shared there. It was wonderful to see everyone though. They mean so much to me have been such a big part of my life and it just wouldn't have been a trip home without seeing my "other" family.




Since my brother was still not back, I said goodbye to my friends and drove back to SC to be with my parents. We had a lot of fun together, though we were disappointed, thinking my brother wouldn't be back before I had to go back to Germany. Well, surprise!! We suddenly got the news he was coming back in two days. So I drove back to Savannah to get him! :)


We spent 2 days in Savannah having sibling fun and eating lots of food. We even sang some karaoke with high school friends :)




Then we were back to SC to see our (very happy) parents! We had a great time. Lots of fun and laughing and taking puppies on walks and tasty food. Fun times :)







All too soon I had to go back to Germany :( I was very sad to leave, but hopefully it won't be too long before I'm back there or they come see me! You're all invited! :)

It was a wonderful, whirlwind trip. I had so much fun! I miss you all already!

I'm working on some posts about Savannah (mostly my must eat/must see places)...they'll be up eventually.

The good news? At least sun has come to Bavaria!

No comments:

Post a Comment