Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Slow Cooker Chicken Mole Tacos


After our tasty burrito experience in Berlin, we were craving chicken mole. But since Berlin is like 5 hours away and america is even farther, I knew I'd have to put my trusty slow cooker to work to make it myself. Mole, for those of you who haven't tried its amazingness, is a spicy sauce with hints of cinnamon and chocolate. Cinnamon and chocolate? With meat? I know, I know, just try it!

This recipe turned out so good. We had it the first night with corn tortillas and for lunch the next day it was reinvented into a burrito bowl. Both awesome.

I followed Martha's recipe, but made a few adjustments.

3 chicken thighs, 2 chicken breasts
Coarse salt
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
1 large chipotle chile in adobo sauce (chopped and seeded if you don't want it too spicy)
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup dates, chopped
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Fresh cilantro leaves, for serving

Directions

Season chicken with salt and place in slow cooker. Using an immersion blender, puree tomatoes, onion, chipotle chiles, almonds, dates, garlic, oil, cumin, and cinnamon until smooth. Add chopped chocolate to mix and stir. NOTE: My immersion blender does not like to chop chocolate, hence why I added it after. If yours can handle it, add the chocolate with the rest of the ingredients when you're pureeing.

Add mixture to slow cooker, cover, and cook on high until chicken is tender, 4 hours (or 8 hours on low). Shred chicken and serve with sauce. Top with cilantro.

This had just enough heat for me (I don't like really spicy stuff), but if you love spice, add more adobo chiles. This barely lasted 1 day in our house before it was all gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment