Sunday, February 17, 2013

Salade Nicoise

I'm trying to get creative with my diet food here, so i pulled out a French oldie but goody. Salade Nicoise! It's a salad from the Meditteranean region of France, though people usually argue over how it's supposed to be prepared. Potaotes or no? Tuna or Anchovies or both? What kind of dressing?

It's kind of the French version of the Cobb Salad. But I threw tradition aside and went for what I thought would taste good rather than striving for the most authentic Salade Nicoise evarrrrr

Et voila!

I must preface this by saying that it did not turn out like I expected. I undercooked my hard boiled eggs (rookie mistake) so they were out. I forgot to buy red potatoes so they were out too. I used canned tuna. Like I said, my recipe is merely an imitation of French culinary genius, but stick with me here.

Oh, and I cut myself while cutting veggies, so that mini emergency also led to the thrown together nature of our lunch. But whatever! It tasted good!

husband approved.


Shannon's Sorta Salade Nicoise

Romaine lettuce
Tomatoes
Red Onion, diced
Cucumber
Black olives
mint leaves, chopped
Green beans, chopped
**hard boiled eggs, quartered
**small red new potatoes, boiled
Canned albacore tuna
1 tsp Tarragon

Dressing:
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard
3/4 cup olive oil
Salt and Pepper
Basil, oregano, thyme

Mix the dressing, taste and adjust as needed. Set aside.

Pour canned tuna into bowl. Add salt and pepper, tarragon, squeeze of lemon juice and dash of olive oil. Stir to combine.

Wash and chop veggies. Toss in a bowl with the dressing and stir to combine. Serve salad with tuna on top with green beans, potatoes and eggs on the side (or omit if you're like me and didn't have them). Eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment