Sunday, February 17, 2013

Homemade Hummus

I am a hummus fiend. When I lived in the States and had easy access to a Publix or a Kroger, it was always on my weekly shopping list. I probably ate hummus every single day.

Here in Germany, it's a different story. It's a little hard to find and when you DO find it it's often overwhelmingly garlicky or terribly bland. I finally found a brand I LOVED at the local Rewe, but then they did the unthinkable...

They stopped carrying it.

I know, right?? So rude. My hummus supply gone, I decided to finally get around to learning to make it myself. Fionn bought me an immersion blender a while back and it has quickly become an invaluable addition to my little kitchen. Lo and behold, it is also perfect for making hummus! I love you, immersion blender.

It took a few test batches to get it right, but I've finally got a recipe that works (many thanks to Fionn for being the guinea pig). The best part? It's so doggone cheap to make. It has also gained a reputation and has been requested by Fionn's coworkers (an expected consequence of his current diet is that his leftover lunches have been garnering attention at the office, as well as unexpected requests!)

Without further ado...



1 can of organic chickpeas (only 95 cents!!)
Half of a lemon
1/2 teaspoon cumin
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt (if you like it really garlicky, sub this for one garlic clove and 1/2 tsp of salt)
Splash of water
Splash of olive oil
1 tsp tahini (if you're like me and don't really dig tahini, cut if down even lower or omit it altogether)

Rinse the chickpeas and pour into a bowl. Call a friend on the phone or start watching that awful reality show you love and start popping the chickpeas out of their skins into a little bowl. Do this by squeezing the chickpea at the pointy end and it'll shoot right into the bowl. Discard the skins. This is a little time consuming but goes quickly if you're watching tv or listening to a podcast or something, and doing this makes the hummus SO smooth and creamy. Worth the extra effort! However, if you don't have time, resign yourself to less smooth hummus and give it a few extra spins in the food processor.

Put the naked chickpeas in the plastic immersion blender cup (or your food processor if you're fancy!), add the rest of the ingredients and go to town with your immersion blender. I like mine really smooth so I tend to blend the heck out of it. Taste, and season accordingly. More lemon? More salt? More cowbell cumin?

Once you get yours the way you like it, mix it up! Black olives, roasted red pepper, extra garlic, roasted pine nuts...the possibilities are endless.

We keep ours in a sealable container. Keep in the fridge a few days (though ours never lasts very long if I'm around!) and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment