Monday, January 28, 2013

Off to a good start

January is almost over! That was fast, wasn't it?

We have had a quiet month of being homebodies. It's been kind of nice actually. We've made some new friends and have been spending time with them (separately and as couples) and that has been really fun. It has been so incredibly cold in our neck of the woods, it just 18 F just yesterday! There's lots of snow and it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

We've been going on walks around our village on weekends. It's so secluded you can walk for ages and never meet another person in your own winter wonderland. It's pretty cool, though it's always great to come home to a hot cup of tea and a warm heater :)

Of course snowball fights and sledding attempts are part of the fun too!

I'm sad because I can't beat Fionn in a snow ball fight. I'm a sore loser!

Fionn has been working a lot but I think he likes it. We're currently on a mission to eat healthier and lose some Christmas vacation pounds. I'll keep you updated with tales from the trenches kitchen.

I have some good news though! I have finally found an outlet for my music. I offered to help out with the church music program and they pretty much signed me on board that afternoon. I'm singing, playing, and arranging for 2 services each week! It has been so great to make music again, and to go to practices and get to play for people. It's also really encouraged me to practice more as well as to step outside my genre and tackle some new kinds of music I haven't worked with before. i am loving it and it's great that I can offer something to the community.

In the face of all the job search fruitlessness I really wanted to just be USEFUL, even if that meant I wasn't getting paid. I feel like this is an answered prayer in a lot of ways. They needed help and I needed an outlet. Win win :)

Speaking of music, there's a ceili and session coming up in a few weeks and I've been invited to that by one of my friends in the German Irish Music Community. I'm so excited about that and can't wait to meet some of the other Irish Music people around here!

Things are going really well right now. It's hard to believe I've been here a year already. How time flies! I'm excited to see what's coming up next.

I don't have any concrete plans yet, but I'm pretty sure a trip to America is coming up very soon, hopefully in time for St Patrick's Day. So maybe I'll be seeing you all back home sooner rather than later?? :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment