Monday, January 28, 2013

Breakfast on the Go

With a new year comes the desire to make resolutions. One of my resolutions was to plan our meals better. It keeps me from wasting time, money, and food and helps us to eat healthy.

One of the places I feel like I'm lacking was making easy breakfasts. For me, I have time to whip up something most mornings, but when Fionn's up early and rushing out the door he ends up eating junk on the way or nothing at all. So I thought, I can make to go breakfasts! So here we are :)

Fruit and Yogurt Parfaits with Granola

These have been so easy! I put them in tupperware so they'd be easily portable (and unbreakable!) and I put a piece of plastic wrap over the yogurt before I add the granola so it doesn't get soggy.

I like to mix honey and plain yogurt instead of using flavored yogurt and add whatever berries or fruit I feel like. If you're using frozen berries, put them in the middle before topping with extra yogurt, and let them thaw out overnight in the fridge.


Mini Frittatas



You can get creative here, but I usually make Mexican, Italian, and Ham and Cheese versions

makes 15

6 eggs
1 cup milk, divided between 3 bowls
3 Tbsp yogurt, divided between 3 bowls
assorted shredded cheeses (mozzarella, cheddar, pepper jack, etc.)
salsa
diced green bell pepper
cooked bacon/lardons/ham (whatever you have on hand!)
cooked spinach
chopped Roasted Red Peppers
Italian Seasoning
Salt and Pepper
Cumin

Preheat oven to 350 F/180 C

Crack 2 eggs in 3 separate bowls. Divide milk between the 3 bowls and add 1 Tbsp yogurt into each bowl. Divide cooked bacon/ham between each bowl and add salt and pepper.

In the first bowl, add Mexican cheese blend, green bell pepper, salsa, and cumin. Stir and carefully pour into greased muffin tins (should fill 5 muffin cups).

In the second bowl, add Mozzarella, spinach, roasted red pepper and italian seasoning. Stir and pour into muffin tins.

In the third bowl, add cheese and whatever you find in your pantry or spice cabinet :) Pour into tins.

Bake for 25 minutes or until set.

Keep refrigerated for up to 3 days. Eat cold or microwave for 30 seconds.

Pumpkin Silver Dollar Pancakes

I used this recipe after I had some leftover pumpkin puree from pumpkin bread. These were so good and even better reheated a few days later. Yum!

Pumpkin Pancakes Recipe


Love that orange color!

Next I'm going to try make ahead breakfast burritos and breakfast sandwiches and maybe some muffins. I'll keep you posted :)

No comments:

Post a Comment