Monday, December 10, 2012

Sunday morning crepes

Me and crepes have history. When I was growing up, weekends usually meant a morning of big breakfasts. My dad in particular loved making crepes, and since he grew up in France, I pretty much consider him an authority on le crepe-making. I spent a lot of mornings with a huge pile of crepes and every topping you could think of (mmm, I'd love some Grand Marnier right about now!), taking our time and enjoying the weekend. When I studied in France, crepes were the go to food for my group of international friends. We'd all bring an ingredient, and the kitchen would buzz with French, German, Spanish, and English as we took turns making crepes and sending the plates into the living room to be devoured with ham and cheese or nutella and jam. When I was in college, the French Club I was a part of sold crepes as a fundraiser every year. Making piles of crepes the night before was how I learned my dad's trick of flipping them in the pan, trying not to drop one on the floor.

When I woke up this morning to snow and chilly weather and a fast asleep Fionn (very rare that I wake up before he does!) I thought, what a good morning for surprise crepes.


Want to make your own?

1 cup flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
2 Tablespoons butter, melted

Put dry ingredients in a bowl, then add wet. Ladle batter into very hot skillet, working quickly to swirl the batter over the whole pan (it cooks fast!). After a few seconds, flip the crepe til it's lightly browned, serve and enjoy.

Hope you had a nice Sunday too!

And hopefully warmer one than in our neck of the woods!

No comments:

Post a Comment