Tuesday, February 21, 2012

saying goodbye

Last night we met up with our friends Ben and Olia for dinner. They're heading back to the States (to my home state actually!) and we wanted to hang out one last time and say our goodbyes. They are so great and funny, Fionn and I are really going to miss them. I first met them while Fionn and I were still dating, and after I had to go back to America to finish my last semester they were really good about keeping his spirits up and inviting him to do things.

Since I've been here we've gotten to do a few double dates, and Olia was really helpful when it came to answering my questions and volunteering her help if i needed anything. I feel like we clicked really well, it's just such a shame we didn't have longer together! :( But then again you never know...over the past few years I've learned to never say never when it comes to seeing old friends again...life has a way of bringing people back into your life unexpectedly! :) So fingers crossed on that account.

They gave us a few goodbye presents (I'll have to put some pictures up later!) as well as some of their EU voltage appliances we were happy to take off their hands. I was happy they were leaving the vacuum cleaner behind since ours is pretty awful. I know what you're thinking...a vacuum cleaner? pffft...but when your house is 80% white tile and 20% strange German carpet which your current vacuum has no effect on, come back and talk to me. I was happy :)

Fionn had asked them about their toaster, but apparently it had taken a tumble and been broken while they were packing up and moving. They felt so bad they actually bought us a new one, which was so sweet and unexpected! They really didn't have to do that, but I'm sure every time we make toast from now on we'll be reminded of them. Fionn set it up first thing when we got home, I think he's just happy he doesn't have to battle the oven broiler anymore for some toast.

Anyway, we went out for Chinese and had a lot of laughs and then took some pictures. I'm really going to miss them, but I hope they have a great time in their new home. I envy all the warm weather they'll have :) Hopefully we'll get to see them this summer when we go back to the States.

So, Ben and Olia, here's to you! You two are great and I hope it's not too long before we can meet again. And of course thank you very much for the toaster and the vacuum :)

2 comments :

  1. Hey Shannon,

    Can you get a Dyson over there? Or is it a big "Nein-Nein" to have a British vacuum cleaner in Germany?

    ReplyDelete
  2. since you're a military wife now, you need to start a christmas card list. i do my mom's EVERY YEAR and she keeps in touch with people she's known for like 25 years. it's the best actually because we get all their cards too!

    and you can send a card to ben and olia and me and everyone here there or anywhere :) i know it's old fashioned but something about christmas cards... is so exciting

    ReplyDelete