Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My Expat Kitchen: update on squash bread!

I have a great recipe for banana bread, but as I said earlier, I wanted to mix it up and make some squash bread with all leftover squash. I found a recipe over at My Baking Addiction, and it seemed just right. I made a few adjustments-I didn't have cardamon so I substituted it with ginger (i know what you're thinking...how does cardamon = ginger?? it doesn't, but i just like ginger, so nyah), and I made my own squash puree so it wasn't as smooth as the recipe above.

So, here's the recipe, taken from My Baking Addiction along with my additions...

Ingredients
1 cup butternut squash purée
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1 cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground ginger



Directions
To make squash puree: Cut a butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds and innards. I had half a butternut squash and a few chunks of chopped squash, and that equaled one cup. Spread them over a baking sheet and add just a little bit of water. Bake at 350º F/ 175º C for 45 minutes to an hour, or until it's very tender. My weird German oven is kind of finicky, so it took a little longer to get it tender than it might in a regular oven.
Once squash is cooled, scoop out the flesh and put into a bowl, discard the skin. Mash the squash with a potato masher or your hands. I washed my hands and dove in, partly because it was fun getting messy but also because it was easier to do it that way since I don't have a potato masher. :)
Once it's all mashed, you're done! It won't be as smooth as when you use a blender or food processor, but I preferred that in the bread. If you want it smoother, have at it with a blender/food processor/egg beater until it's at the desired consistency.


ok now, on to the baking!

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one standard loaf pan (this worked in my German and my American loaf pans).
2. In a large bowl, mix together the butternut squash puree, eggs, oil, water and sugars until thoroughly combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
3. Stir the dry ingredients into the butternut squash mixture. Combine just until incorporated; do not over mix. Pour into the prepared pan.


4. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-65 minutes or until a wooden skewer/knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.

yay! :)

So the verdict? Very good! The kitchen smelled like fall baking and the bread is kind of like pumpkin bread. I thought maybe squash would be overpowering but it's not at all. Nice use of leftover squash :)

No comments:

Post a Comment