Tuesday, February 7, 2012

a little intro

Hi everyone! So I've finally gotten around to starting a new blog...I can't believe it took me this long but hey, better late than never right? :)

These past few months have been pretty whirlwind. Graduating, moving out of my apartment, visiting/meeting family on the East and West coasts, getting married, and then heading off to Germany...there were so many goodbyes and hellos and totally uncharted territory that I was almost happy to have some peace and quiet once we got to Germany just to process everything that had happened. I've been here about a month now, and it's been nice to settle into a routine and get used to my new home.

I'm so happy to finally get down to starting this blog because there are so many of you across the pond that I love and really want to stay in touch with. As excited as I am about all the new changes in my life, I don't want to lose all the great people and experiences from my stateside life, so hopefully this blog will help you feel a little more connected and will help us keep in touch. And hopefully it won't be too long before I'm back in the States to see all of you ;)

So, what am I up to these days? Well first off, I'm living here in Bavaria with my husband. We live out in the country, but it's a really beautiful region. Rural, but a lot of natural beauty. The people are very friendly, though I find their Bavarian accent hard to understand since I studied German in Hessen and in Brandenburg (and sometimes my Berlinisms creep into my German, which gets me some weird looks here). I've been waiting on my car to ship from America, which along with the winter weather keeps me indoors a lot while Fionn is at work. When I first got here it took some getting used to-anyone who knows me knows I am always over scheduled to the max, my ever present day planner filled up with different colored inks to differentiate between exams and paper/project due dates, work schedule, appointments, musical engagements, museum related events, and whatever else. I like being busy. When I found myself with nothing BUT free time, it was a little weird. Ok, a lot weird!

Luckily, with some encouragement from Fionn, I decided to profit from all my free time. Even though I chose to have a super busy schedule in Savannah, there were tons of things I always wished I had free time to do. Things like practicing my music, baking, learning new things...so I've been using my time to learn how to knit, perfecting some baking techniques and learning some new ones (my current project is learning to make bread), decorating our house, getting into my passion for cooking, practicing the fiddle, and working on my German (since there are quite a few holes in my German skills). It's actually been really fun, and after 4 years working towards my degree (which included a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and no fun weekends!) it's nice to take some time off and investigate things I've been interested in.



The car will hopefully be here by the end of the month, which will allow me to get out and explore a little more and maybe get involved volunteering or even trying to find a job. I love Germany, so I'm looking forward to finding fun things to do here. Plus I just got my license, so I'm ready to hit the road! ;)

Fionn and I have been going to church here-the people are really friendly and welcoming, and the message is good. I felt a bit nervous at first since most of the other women are older than me and have kids, but they've been really friendly and have offered to help me out with anything I need. I really like the community spirit here-everyone is far away from friends and family so you have to rely on each other for help. It felt nice to be welcomed so quickly and to talk to women who are in similar situations.

On weekends Fionn and I try to get out of the house and do something, even if it's just going to the bigger towns nearby to have lunch and shop in the German stores. We have a joke if we can't find something on post we say, oh we have to go to Germany for that. I like "going to Germany" more sometimes, but mostly because I'm used to shopping in German stores after my time in Marburg and Berlin. I know exactly where to go to find what I need and some things (like lactose free milk) are cheaper in Germany. Some weekends we do go on overnight trips, but we usually do that when he has a long weekend.

All in all, life is good. I get homesick sometimes, and I really wish Georgia was only a short train ride away so I could come back and visit all my favorite people, but I really do like it here. And since we won't be in Germany forever, I'm trying to make the most of it and enjoy every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment